SSD evitar degradación chrome cache ramdisk

4DGeorgeLevel 1
25/10/10
I have a different opinion for speeding up AND increasing the longevity of my SSD drives.  And moving the temp and cache folders is DEFINITELY the only way to go.
Of course, you may say I'm cheating, given the implied intention of the discussion. ;-)

If you have greater than 4 Gig of RAM (which also implies you have a 64 bit OS) the solution is to use a RAM drive!
I have several machines (both notebooks and workstations) with 8 gig of RAM, an SSD for the OS drive, and Win7 64bit.

For each I used Dataram's free RAMDisk (http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk) to create a 1 or 2 Gig RAM disk on each.  I then moved the System and User temp folders, IE Cache, Firefox profile, and one very (very) I/O write-intensive application to this drive.

The RAM drive driver loads the file at system boot up and saves it every five minutes (configurable) as well as at shutdown.
I also compressed the folder where this image file is stored to speed up the loading at boot up (it does help).

The end result is incredibly fast web browser response, significantly faster application response when it's using the temp folders, and that very (very) I/O write-intensive application performing like a normal application.  (it's a stock charting program that writes a price entry every second for every stock or FOREX currecy you're subscribed to.  It results in triple the number I/O writes of ANY of the Windows 7 applications or subsystems.)

In addition to the increased performance, you reduce the number of I/O writes to only when you're saving the image file, which is configurable.  For me, I save the image file every 5 minutes.  Thus I only have 12 writes per hour.  Not the several hundred thousand per hour I was experiencing.

If you have a 32 bit OS, using a small 50 - 300 MB RAM disk for the IE cache or Firefox profile would work nicely.  Configure your browser to not save cache files or to clear them frequently.  I use CCleaner to auto clear things every time I boot up.

I have been using this for several months with great results and have yet to encounter something exceeding the small temp/cache space RAM drive size.
Enjoy!

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Tutorial Configuración MPC-HC

TSMC